With a centuries-long tradition of philanthropy, we are ideally placed to support your personal philanthropic initiatives. The Master Charitable Trust provides a simple, effective and tax-efficient way to organise charitable giving.
Making giving simple
As a bank with a long tradition of innovative philanthropy, we understand how philanthropists may feel overwhelmed by administration. Established in 2011, the Master Charitable Trust offers a flexible, efficient alternative to running your own foundation or charity.
Flexibility, simplicity and control
The Master Charitable Trust is a Donor Advised Fund (DAF) in which all donors have their own named sub-fund, known as a ‘Giving Fund’. Bringing all these sub-funds together under the Master Charitable Trust umbrella creates a tax-efficient and cost-effective structure. Fees are transparent and competitive.
Giving Funds can support a wide range of charitable objectives: you can give to UK-registered charities, internationally, and to organisations that are not registered but which undertake charitable work.
You can name your Giving Fund (or remain anonymous), involve family members or others, and plan for succession. You can also add to your fund at any time.
Lifting the administrative burden
Our own corporate trustee, Messrs. Hoare Trustees Limited, undertakes every aspect of administration, including all dealings with the Charity Commission. You will be assigned a trust manager who will provide you with quarterly portfolio valuations and bank statements, as well as annual accounts and reports.
Grant recommendations can be made to Messrs. Hoare Trustees Limited by phone, email or letter, or at meetings. Gifts can be made directly to charities, using donation vouchers, or you can set up standing orders via Messrs. Hoare Trustees Limited, which will ensure all donations meet the ‘charitable purposes’ and 'public benefit' criteria.
Even more flexible, even greater benefits
The Master Charitable Trust offers a range of additional options, tailored to your philanthropic strategy. For example:
- You can set up one or more Family Giving Funds, facilitating intergenerational involvement.
- You can increase the value of cash contributions by taking advantage of Gift Aid benefits which will be processed by Messrs. Hoare Trustees Limited.
- You have wide scope to decide how your fund should be managed, with a range of options from simple cash deposits to professional investment management.
- If you are a remittance-based taxpayer, you may be able to donate to the offshore bank account of the Master Charitable Trust (full details on request).
- You can elect a successor, so that you effectively create a legacy.